I’m a big supporter of the work of OpenMedia.ca. You may know them from their very successful Stop the Meter campaign earlier this year, or the most recent Stop Spying project. They’re part of a film screening this Thursday, and while I’ll be out of town, I encourage you to attend if you’re in Vancouver.
Monthly donors to OpenMedia (like me!) get in free. Hint hint!
Is our Digital Future In Jeopardy?
Check out the Vancouver premiere screening of “Article 12: Waking Up in a Surveillance Society”
As you probably know, the government is about to ram through legislation that will force every phone and Internet provider to surrender our personal information to “authorities” without a warrant. (details of this situation can be found at:http://stopspying.ca/). Join us in watching this new documentary about the state of invasive and expensive digital surveillance and stick around to talk about the pressing Canadian context with a panel of experts.
MORE DETAILS: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=127118750720442
DISCOUNTED ONLINE TICKETS: http://mddarticle12screening.eventbrite.com/
*Entry is FREE for OpenMedia.ca monthly donors. If you haven’t joined yet you can do so here: http://openmedia.ca/sustainer
//Q&A PANEL EXPERTS//
- Micheal VonnBC Civil Liberties Association
- Vincent GogolekExecutive Director, BC Freedom of information and Privacy
- Kate Milberryfounder of Geeks and Global Justice (geeksandglobaljustice.com/)
- Dr. Michael MarkwickSchool of Communication, SFU
*Stop online spying in Canada by signing the petition at http://stopspying.ca/
//SPONSORS + Partners//
- W2 Community Media Arts Society
- MEDIA Democracy Day Vancouver
- GEN WHY
- OpenFile Vancouver
- The Tyee
- JUNCO Films DOXA International Film Fest