Reclaim Your Domain Office Hours #CIRA
Table of Contents
It’s time to schedule your second event as part of the Reclaim Your Domain CIRA sponsorship. This will be a fun, easy-to-plan meeting where your members can get answers to any of their domain-related questions.
- Due Date: Event should be completed before March 31, 2017.
- Event Format: Informal “office hours”
- Event Duration: 90 to 120 minutes
- Number of Attendees: 5 to 50
Target Audiences and Event Goals:
Attendees get hands-on help resolving any domain related questions or return to their organizations with a clear idea of their next steps in “reclaiming their domain”. Sample problems include:
- Organization is still using a gmail, hotmail, or similar domain for their email (and they might already own an URL). They don’t know that they are eligible for free hosted email on their domain name through Google for Nonprofits or Office 365 for Nonprofits
- Help Org register with TechSoup Canada
- Determine best email hosting solution
- Assist with application and setup of email account
- Provide guidance on how to transfer email to new hosted solution.
- Organization is using a wix.com, wordpress.com or similar URL when their website could be platform agnostic and be displayed using their own domain name for a nominal charge
- Discuss options for website hosting and connecting to domain name
- Assist with transition or help develop action plan for next steps
- Organizations doesn’t own a domain name yet
- Provide organization guidance on the best practices for registering a domain name.
This is an informal “office hours” event without a set agenda. It follows the model of the popular Social Media Surgery by giving your local members a chance to sit down individually or as a group to ask an expert to answer questions about domain names, hosted email, and web hosting. All you need is a room with some tables, chairs, and a few volunteers.
- Volunteer experts: “expert” is in quotes. Any friend, volunteer or previous presenter with basic knowledge of domain names should be able to answer most questions.
- Keep your maximum ratio of experts to attendees at 1 expert to 10 attendees. This will help you set your maximum attendance and help you recruit experts.
- Venue: This can be a cafe, office, or any other space with tables and chairs.
- Discussions are usually first-come-first-served and are 1:1 or in small group (maximum 5)
- Computers: Experts and attendees are encouraged to bring laptops or tablets
- Internet Connection: Very helpful!
Event Description for Meetup or Eventbrite
TITLE: Get Hands-On Help to Reclaim Your Domain
Control & Build Your Brand Online
- Are you still using a gmail, yahoo or similar email address for your nonprofit or charity?
- Is your website on NONPROFIT-NAME.wordpress.com, ORG.wix.com or similar?
Would you donate money to a website with a long and confusing domain name, or one hosted on a foreign or unfamiliar domain? Probably not. Likewise, many nonprofits are still using free email tools like Gmail and Hotmail to send their communications. With your own domain name, you can host your emails on a professional and trusted email address, like firstname.lastname@example.org. Looks a lot more professional, credible and trusted than email@example.com, right?
Join us for our free “Reclaim Your Domain” office hours and get personal 1:1 or small group support for any of your domain-related questions.
Get help with:
- Selecting a domain name (if you don’t already have one)
- Determining the best free option for creating email address on your own domain
- Transitioning your website to your own name like MyCharityName.Ca
When you secure your own domain name, you ensure that you are owning, protecting, controlling and building your brand online. That’s because when you register a domain name, nobody else can have it; it’s uniquely yours! It not only strengthens your brand, but also makes it easier for people to find you online.
- Website Tips for Nonprofits: How to Choose a CMS, Accept Donations and Set Up Email on your Domain
- How to Develop and Own your Brand Online: TechSoup Canada Partners with CIRA
- Domain Names 101: Why They Matter for Nonprofits
- How to Choose and Register a Great Domain Name for Your Nonprofit