Finding a good venue is the main challenge for new NetSquared organizers.
The location you choose depends on your event format and how many people participate.
- Small, informal meetups are a good fit for public places like restaurants, cafés, or public parks.
- Bigger events will need a place that has a space large enough for people to mingle and mix and/or is appropriate for a formal presentation.
Here are some points to keep in mind as you look for your venue:
- Lively neighborhood: a place people will want to go
- Easily accessible: keep in mind parking and public transportation as well as disabled access
- Internet access: make sure the space has WiFi access or another form of Internet access if the presenters or attendees will require it
- Is the venue free? TechSoup/NetSquared are not able to provide funds to cover venue rentals.
- Is the venue available every month? Consistent venues are easier to manage.
- When is the venue available? Do you want to hold your events during the day or evening? Weekdays of weekends?
- What equipment is available? Tables, chairs, projectors, wifi, PA… what’s required?
How to Find Your Venue
- What relationships can you draw on? Co-workers, friends and clients may have venues available.
- Call for recommendations via social media outlets.
- Does your speaker or sponsor want to host the event?
- What venues are other meetups using? Search for the largest local meetup groups and steal their venue ideas!
Places to consider for your event may include:
- WeWork coworking spaces (they own meetup.com)
- Eli has a relationship and can provide an introduction to your location
- Spaces coworking network
- Impact Hubs
- Community or neighborhood center
- Library or school
- Coworking space
- Bar or restaurant with private room/area
- Hotel function room
- Conference center
- Nonprofit organization’s meeting room or board room
- Museum or performing arts space
- Artist or arts space
- Business meeting space
- Places that host other technology meetups.